[IP] Re Lauren's Blog: "Why We May Have to Cut Europe Off from the Internet"
Dave Farber
2018-06-09 00:24:13 UTC
Date: June 8, 2018 at 8:06:27 PM EDT
Subject: Re: [IP] Lauren's Blog: "Why We May Have to Cut Europe Off from the Internet"
Contrary to Lauren's alarmist rhetoric, enforcement of copyrights is not censorship - though some large companies, including a very large one for which he has worked, would like to characterize it as such so as to minimize creators' rights and maximize its own profits. These companies also wish to continue to harvest content for free and profit from it without compensating the authors. And the European Union's principle that you have a "right to be forgotten" is a thorn in the side of privacy-invading edge providers, who wish to create permanent and comprehensive dossiers on the personal affairs of every Internet users. In short, the regulations are harmful only to parties which are doing harm.
For more information on what is actually being done in Europe, see the general factsheet at
http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/dae/document.cfm?doc_id=52749
For more specific information on the provisions of Article 11, see
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2017/596834/IPOL_BRI%282017%29596834_EN.pdf
--Brett Glass
Dave Farber
2018-06-08 23:20:38 UTC
Date: June 8, 2018 at 19:13:53 EDT
[for IP, if you wish; comments inline; use my name]
Fellow IP members,
Date: June 8, 2018 at 3:23:17 PM EDT
Why We May Have to Cut Europe Off from the Internet
https://lauren.vortex.com/2018/06/08/why-we-may-have-to-cut-europe-off-from-the-internet
It's not a joke. It's no hyperbole. If the European Union continues its
current course, the rest of the world may well have to consider how to
effectively "cut off" Europe from the rest of the Internet -- to create
an "Island Europe" in an Internet communications context.
To which we who actually live in Europe have to remind you that (a) not all countries are bound by GDPR and (b) we are the world's richest economic area, so your companies will suffer a loss of profits.
For those of us involved with the Net since its early origins, the
specter of network fragmentation has long been an outcome that we've
sorely hoped to avoid. But continuing EU actions could create an
environment where mechanisms to tightly limit Europe's interactions with
the rest of the global Internet may be necessary -- not imposed with
pleasure, not with vindictiveness, but for the protection of free speech
around the rest of the planet.
The EU will later this month be voting on a nightmarish copyright
control scheme that would impose requirements for real-time "copyright
filtering" of virtually all content uploaded to major and many minor
Internet sites, with no protections against trolling, and the certainty
of inappropriately blocking vast quantities of public domain and other
materials, with no real protections against errors and no effective
"On June 20, an EU committee will vote on an apocalyptically stupid,
internet-destroying copyright proposal that'll censor everything from
Tinder profiles to Wikipedia"
( https://boingboing.net/2018/06/07/thanks-axel-voss.html ).
Even if this specific horrific proposal is voted down, it's important to
review how we came to this juncture, as the EU has increasingly
accelerated its program to become the Internet's global censorship czar,
in ways that even countries like China and Russia haven't attempted to
date.
As far back as 2012 and earlier, in "The 'Right to Be Forgotten': A
Threat We Dare Not Forget"
( https://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000938.html ), I warned of the
insidious nature of content censorship schemes flowing forth from
Europe, and I've consistently warned that -- like the proverbial camel's
nose under the tent -- Europe would never be satisfied with any
concessions offered by Internet firms.
The "right to be forgotten" is merely the right to correct factually incorrect information. If somebody writes my name as "Diwan Hasan" instead of "Hasan Diwan", I can take it to court, submit my identification and the webpage would be ordered to change the name. Or if someone writes that "Hasan Diwan is a member of al-Mohajiroun" (a now-banned, British Islamist group), I could have this corrected by submitting my RESPECT Party membership card. This makes the process of data mining easier, not harder.
Time has borne out my predictions. In ensuing years, the EU has expanded
its demands until now it considers itself in key respects to be the
global arbiter of what should or should not be seen by Internet users
around the world.
It doesn't consider itself as such -- it is. GDPR wouldn't be necessary if the search engines could be trusted to vet the indices for truth, but as has been shown, Google and its competitors can not be trusted with this power.
Like other of civilization's information control tyrants, a taste of
censorship powers by the EU has inevitably led to utter censorship
gluttony, and the sense that "we know best what those stupid little
people should be allowed to see" is as old as human history, long
predating modern communications systems.
European citizens are of course free to elect whatever sorts of
governments that they choose. If that choice is for information control
tyrants whose pleasure is to victimize their own citizens, so be it.
Nobody elects the EU Commission. This was one of the complaints of the Brexit camp. Who do I elect? My local MP. They are most likely backbenchers (not in party leadership), so have little influence on policy. I also elect an MEP, who is a member of a bloc. Finally, I elect a local councillor, who is responsible for rubbish collection and little else. -- H
But if Europe continues to insist that its tyranny of censorship and
information control must be honored by the rest of the world, then the
rest of the world will be reluctantly forced to treat Europe as an
Internet pariah, and use all possible technical means to isolate Europe
in manners that best protect everyone else's freedom of Internet speech.
--
If you wish to request my time, please do so using bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest.
Si vous voudrais faire connnaisance, allez a bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest.
Dave Farber
2018-06-09 17:46:21 UTC
Date: June 8, 2018 at 22:07:19 EDT
As an American living in London and a long-time reader of Lauren's
mailing list, I find Lauren's frequent characterizations of the EU as
worse than Russia or China bizarre. Yes, the European Commission will
shortly vote on a set of copyright proposals we all dislike, but they
don't have the final say. There will be further stages of trilogue
between the European Parliament, the European Commission, and the
Council of Europe to agree on the contents of the final directive. If
Lauren cares so much about this, perhaps he could help activists such as
the UK's Open Rights Group or any of the many other groups that are
members of European Digital Rights to formulate and advocate for better
alternatives rather than sitting in Californnia and childishly demanding
that 28 countries and hundreds of millions of citizens of democratic
countries be blocked off the internet because he doesn't like their
laws. That truly *is* censorship.
There is a helpful guide to the problems with the European Commission's
https://www.communia-association.org/2018/01/08/seven-ways-save-eu-copyright-reform-effort-2018/
Lauren's other pet peeve, the "right to be forgotten" is far from
perfect, but it *is* an attempt to redress the balance of power between
the rights of an individual against the power of large corporations.
It's remarkable that so many in the land of self-reinvention have so
much trouble grasping this. Free speech is a fundamental human right in
the EU, as is privacy as enshrined in data protection aw, and in
right-to-be-forgotten cases the courts are asked to balance those two
fundameental rights against each other. Isn't that what courts are for?
I would have long ago emailed Lauren personally to say all this except
that his server rejects email from my server...
wg
*Date:* June 8, 2018 at 3:23:17 PM EDT
*Subject:* *[ NNSquad ] Lauren's Blog: "Why We May Have to Cut Europe
Off from the Internet"*
[...]
--Lauren--
https://www.vortex.com/lauren
Lauren's Blog: https://lauren.vortex.com
Founder: Network Neutrality Squad: https://www.nnsquad.org
PRIVACY Forum: https://www.vortex.com/privacy-info
https://www.pfir.org/pfir-info
Google+: https://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
Dave Farber
2018-06-11 17:54:39 UTC
Date: June 11, 2018 at 10:44:24 AM PDT
To which we who actually live in Europe have to remind you that (a) not all countries are bound by GDPR and (b) we are the world's richest economic area, so your companies will suffer a loss of profits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
Two out of three say the US is more then 10% larger than the EU, so this is not a minor difference.
The "right to be forgotten" is merely the right to correct factually incorrect information. If somebody writes my name as "Diwan Hasan" instead of "Hasan Diwan", I can take it to court, submit my identification and the webpage would be ordered to change the name. Or if someone writes that "Hasan Diwan is a member of al-Mohajiroun" (a now-banned, British Islamist group), I could have this corrected by submitting my RESPECT Party membership card. This makes the process of data mining easier, not harder.
This is also incorrect. You can ask for factually correct information to be removed. The rules around it are vague, so it is not clear where the line is. However, it is absolutely clear that removal of facts which are true, real, and verified can be done under the rule.
After that, i gave up. While it took me 20-30 seconds to prove each of these wrong, I don’t see why I should do your research for you.
If you like GDPR, that’s fine. If you don’t, that’s fine. Even if you don’t like it but think Lauren went too far, that’s fine. But let’s try to stick to the facts. This is not a US political debate. :-)
--
TTFN,
patrick