[IP] Re V.A. Shiva Ayyadurai, Inventor Of Email, Fires Back At Critics Who Question His Discovery
Dave Farber via ip
2014-09-02 00:01:24 UTC
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Whitfield Diffie* <***@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2014
Subject: [IP] V.A. Shiva Ayyadurai, Inventor Of Email, Fires Back At
Critics Who Question His Discovery
to denote the address a message was being sent to was added in 1972 by
Ray Tomlinson, it beats me how anyone can claim to have "invented" email
in 1978.
The best I can find on what VA Shiva Ayyadurai did is paragraph in
his Wikipedia entry:

A November 2011 Time Techland interview by Doug Aamoth entitled "The
Man Who Invented Email" argued that Ayyadurai's program represented
the birth of email "as we currently know it". In that interview,
Ayyadurai recalled that Les Michelson, the former particle scientist
at Brookhaven National Labs who assigned Ayyadurai the project, had
the idea of creating an electronic mail system that uses the header
conventions of a hardcopy memorandum. Ayyadurai recalled Michelson as
saying: ``Your job is to convert that into an electronic format.
Nobody's done that before.''[7]

from which I conclude that the claimed invention is the header format.

A quick look at my files finds messages from from 1976 that use that
format:

29-SEP-76 1935 FTP:CERF at USC-ISI Data Communication Conference/ Sept 1977
Date: 29 SEP 1976 1802-PDT
From: CERF at USC-ISI
Subject: Data Communication Conference/ Sept 1977
To: walker
cc: cerf, wd at SU-AI

22-AUG-76 0857 FTP:LEFAIVRE at RUTGERS-10 MORE ON THE LISP COMPILER
Date: 22 Aug 1976 (Sunday) 1155-Est
From: LEFAIVRE at RUTGERS-10
Subject: MORE ON THE LISP COMPILER
To: DIFFIE at SU-AI

so I don't see how this can be novel in 1978.

Whit

Dave Farber via ip
2014-09-02 03:16:31 UTC

Date: 29 SEP 1976 1802-PDT
From: CERF at USC-ISI
To: walker

Date: 22 Aug 1976 (Sunday) 1155-Est
From: LEFAIVRE at RUTGERS-10
To: DIFFIE at SU-AI

so I don't see how this can be novel in 1978.

Whit

Archives <https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/=now>
<https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/247/124882-e231c065> | Modify
<https://www.listbox.com/member/?&>